Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Here all the Bombs Fade Away

I am not going on Facebook or Myspace for a week. I will probably save like 10 hours this week by not checking either of those pages. It is currently killing me. All I want to do is check them, but I won't!

Thanksgiving break was amazing this year! I literally just had so much fun everyday. I hung out with people I haven't seen in awhile, I met awesome new people, and I went to two great shows. Last thanksgiving break was so awful, RC and I broke up and my mom and I fought the entire time, it was our infamous myspace fight that resulted in my mom ignoring my existence for 3 days. I almost left Edmonds and spent the remainder of break in Olympia. I can't believe how much of a happier more fulfilled person I am this time around. I was just surrounding with amazing people who encourage me to be an awesome fun person.

I saw the Decemberists with Daniel on Sunday. We bought the tickets back in September I believe, maybe August actually. I remember the day vividly. Daniel called and left a message on my phone saying that we had good news and Daniel used to never leave messages (weirdly he does all the time now, but that might have been the first ever message he had left on my phone for the 4 years I've known him). I new as soon as I heard his cryptic message I knew that either the Decemberists, Page France, or Sufjan Stevens were playing a show. I called him and we bought tickets that night. They had a small pre-sale of tickets and we took advantage. I remember the UPS people had the hardest time finding my home to drop off the much anticipated tickets. I remember receiving a reimbursement check for the tickets from Daniel's dad which revealed my true identity as Natasha (opposed to Latasha) to Daniel's little sister. These tickets were a big deal. Last Friday I went to grab the tickets from the living room and couldn't find them. Panic. I looked in all the stacks of mail and loose paper. I looked under all the furniture. I looked in all the nooks in the crannies. I recruited the help of my family and they searched everywhere imaginable. My mom and I tag teamed taking all the bags of garbage out of the dumpster and searching through them. I probably looked for those damn tickets for at least 6 hours. My family lives in a pretty small apartment, and they had only been in the house for like 5 days at that point. They couldn't be buried that deep! I began to realize that maybe I wasn't going to find them I started exhausting other resources. I called and emailed ticketmaster, musictoday, and the Moore theatre. Each entity kept saying that I needed to contact the other one in order to get new tickets. I was hopeless.

The day the concert rolled around. I was talking to Daniel over facebook chat. He was asking what time we should head down to the concert and I kept insisting we show up early. He was not understanding why we needed to show up for the show 3 hours early. I needed to break the news to him. I told him I needed to tell him something but I needed to do it over the phone. I call and preface the conversation with "Okay, you can't get mad and you can't tell your parents." I nervously continued "I lost the tickets." and then the obvious reaction for Daniel was to accuse me of being a liar. I just started laughing! I think maybe I had just finally accepted that I misplaced 80 dollars worth of tickets, and relized how fricking funny that is.
"Why are you laughing?"
"Its psychotic Laughter!"

We get to the Moore theatre a few hours early and get in line. In line? I don't know, it seemed right. We are hanging out for awhile, drinking Tully's coffee when a lady walks by, "Anybody need any tickets."
"I do." But no cash!

I ran to the nearest ATM, it was in the whiskey bar. I walk in and head to the ATM. Some big dude come over to me and asks to see my ID, but oh wait, I'm only twenty. I leave and start looking for the next ATM, which is like 4 blocks away. I practically ran back and exchanged another 80 dollars for two more tickets. We get into the show and got good seats, in the third row.

The first band was pretty cool, I had never heard of them. Loch Lohan, I believe was their name. The weirdest thing is that the lights went down at exactly 8:00. I'm used to a show saying it starts at 8 and actually start at 9:30. The Decemberists where up next and they fricking rocked it! During their second song "The Island" Colin Meloy tells everyone to grab their chairs and push them off to the side. Dancing and singing and joy for the next two hours. The "last" song they played was Chimbley Sweep. It was wonderful. Of course they encored, and played 3 more songs. During the actual last one "Sons and Daughters" Colin Meloy starts encouraging people to come on stage and help him sing the song. I jumped up there and stood in close proximity to Colin. There might have been a hug exchanged at the end of the show between us, but I don't kiss and tell!

I was such a giddy little 15 year old girl (aka I was acting like Shelby). I haven't felt that starstruck like ever.


I have a huge research project due on Friday, I should be doing that, not this!
Riley fixed my computer. I have my computer!!
I offered to buy him a cup of coffee or something, and he said we can just call it even from the 150 dollars he owes me for a broken ipod he sold. Hmm, a cup of coffee vs. ipod?
Oh well, I have a computer again!

No comments: