Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You wanna pass me a percocet?

What an interesting and long weekend I have had. On Friday after class I ventured to Portland, OR for the conference Jesus the Revolution. I have been on several InterVaristy conferences and this one was by far the best. The Evergreen group was record breaking this time with 5 students and 2 staff workers. Another awesome part of the weekend is that I got to see a bunch of my friends who went to Summit! Last summer I spent the first two weeks living in Portland, working at a bunch of places, attempting to serve the poor. This was an amazing trip were I learned a lot about myself, God, and the world. I also was a part of an amazing community that was reunited this last weekend. I hadn't realized how much I had missed them until I saw them again this weekend. I also got a lot closer with the people who go to bible study. A great bunch they are and it was lovely hanging out. I am also excited about one more thing: Prayer. I realize the majority of people who read this aren't Christian, so just bare with me for a minute. There has been a prayer movement sweeping college campuses across the nation. I feel like this movement is the answer to so many of the problems of the Church today.

Jesus has become an institution. The religion of Christianity promotes routine and structure. Being a Christian isn't about saying the right words or going through the right motions, it is about living our relationships with Christ. I usually can't stand going to church because all I see is people who are bored. I want to be excited! I want to reignite my passion! Generally churches are the last place I would suggest to go to get passionate about Jesus. But this pray movement is so simple, yet so revolutionary. Just pray, pray all day long every day. This all started with some group of people in England, I believe, who decided they would take turns praying in shifts. All day everyday for 30 days, now nearly two decades later they have never stopped praying. Being a Christian isn't about communion and saying the lords pray, it is about loving Jesus and having a real relationship with him. This is what I want, and what I need.

For the first time in a long time I don't feel alone in this need.
Let the revolution begin.



Anyways, so I get back Sunday night and sleep a lot!

Monday is Charlie's birthday!!
So, you know, like any sane person, Charlie decides he wants to spend his 20th birthday in the emergency room. So we partied it up at the hospital for nearly 4 hours.

Let me start from the beginning. Charlie was trying to open Corbin's window, he tried really hard. His hand burst through the window slitting his left wrist.

I continue to freak the fuck out and call the police. The firemen come and wrap up his hand and the police give Charlie a ride to the hospital. I got to ride in the back of the cop car! Then we waited. Waited at the ER, waited at Walgreens for Charlie's oxycodon prescription to be filled, wait at Red Robin's to get a table, and waiting at the bowling alley for the rest of the group to show up. Oh and by the way, we had the shittiest waiter at Red Robin's. We told him it was Charlie's birthday and he carded him. What a D bag. Then later we went to the reef.


So the moral of the story is don't cut your wrist on broken glass, it isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds!!!

1 comment:

Charlie said...

It wasn't so bad. But that waiter was a total D bag Mc Re Re.